Pimp My Hundred Bucks - Part Fifteen

What an awesome week. Seriously.

Last week I felt like I was the Star Ship Enterprise at the end of Wrath of Khan, disintegrating in the atmosphere of planet Genesis in response to a very dramatic and heart rendering self destruct sequence.

The nerdy Sci-Fi allegory will make sense later.

When I last wrote I had a profound sense of having performed at my business like a hedgehog on a dinner plate. Never the less, as the old saying goes – Time and Chance happens to us all!

No longer do I feel I have the business acumen of a rhinoceros, not after making my first $80 in a week so far!

But I’m flying ahead of myself…

Today I drove north to the lovely town of Whangaparaoa (pronounced fung-a-po-row-a) to collect the 100 Science Fiction books that I purchased to the bitter music of buyer’s remorse last week. But the despair I felt at overstocking last week melted away after having just sold a personal record number of books this week so as it turns out, buying all that stock in the long run could have been a result of myself being caught in some kind of temporal time loop in which my future self purchased those books for me, knowing what small fortune was about to come my way.

After a lovely drive to this beautiful part of Auckland I arrived at the books seller’s home only to be greeted by a man wearing one of the coolest Dr Who t-shirts I have ever seen, even better than my Dalek Pajama top! Already this guy has ten points for professional attire in my book! But then he takes me to his garage where out come three large boxes of pristine condition assorted science fiction novels! I think I must have swooned! I found myself checking for drool while no one was looking…

Ok so that part about the drool isn’t true, but the thing is I’m a nerd, an in-the-closet trekkie and by way of confession, when I was younger the end credits of Star Gate used to make me cry a little.

But moving right along I’m going to find it hard selling these books which I would gladly keep for my own book shelf, but I have a goal to reach $500 and lay this mission to rest!

I also found myself resisting temptation again today when the Dr Who wearing book seller man showed me hundreds of well kept books under his house, one group of 500 books which he told me he currently had listed for $220 on Trademe… I have found myself many times today wondering would it be wise to lay my hands on that stash… but again I must focus on my goal of $500, after all that is what this series is about… and yet, I can’t stop myself from wondering…

I couldn’t believe my “luck”, although I do believe in providence, when a customer wrote to me after purchasing a book and asked for a bulk deal on ten books she had her eye on so I gave them to her for $35! And so, over all, this is what I sold:



Sickened by Julie Gregory - $3
Return of the King by Tolkien - $3
Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov - $3
Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married by Marian Keyes - $3
The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck - $3
The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan - $4
James Clavell’s Gai-jin - $3
People of the Earth by Michael Gear - $5
As I lay Dying by William Faulkner - $3
Macbeth - $6
The Adrian Mole Diaries by Sue Townsend - $6
The Gilr Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King - $3
The Lost World by Michael Crichton - $6
x10 Assorted books - $35

Thus making me $86!

My wife just pointed out to me that that represents $4,472/year if it was your average weekly earnings! I’m happy with that!

All things considered, taking into account listing fees, success fees and postage I’m left with $263.22 – Back past the halfway mark and well on my way to that $500, in fact if I can repeat this week’s success I could have this show off the road in three weeks! But I had best remember what I said before about Time and Chance and not count my chickens before they hatch!

On another note I learned this week to be careful about what I complain about! Last week I complained that I was getting nearly 200 hits per day and a thunder storm of spam in my comment streams. Well, the very next day my hits soared back down to less than 50 a day… but personally I’ll take the $80 over my 200 hits any day!

Finally I should probably mention that my $20 worth of Bonus Bonds performed… well, actually they didn’t perform at all, again, in the last prize draw (which is done the first of every month) so that $20 is just sitting there… come to think of it I should include that figure in my weekly total… why haven’t I been doing that? Oh that’s right, I’m new at all this…

In any case, now I’m going to go and try really really hard not to spend $250 on 500 books!

Until next we meet, please share this post, please click on the “like” button and imagine a fairy is being born or that another Star Wars installment is in development with every click…


Click Here to read Part Sixteen in this series


Click Here if you would like to follow my progress on Facebook!

Click Here to read this series from the beginning!

Click Here to read my awesome last series, Pimp My Twenty Bucks

Click Here to view my Trademe Listings

For some great money related articles please visit workingathomeinternet.com for some great monetary wisdom... see you there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calamari and Me

Pimp My Hundred Bucks - Part Twenty Three

How to Turn $20 into $100 in Ten Easy Steps (Or at least how I managed to do it)